Book Title: Early Childhood Environment Rating Scale (ECERS-3)
Publisher: Teachers College Press
Author: Thelma Harms
The long-anticipated new version of the internationally recognized Early Childhood Environment Rating Scale, ECERS-3, focuses on the full range of needs of preschool- and kindergarten-aged children. This widely used, comprehensive assessment tool measures both environmental provisions and teacher-child interactions that affect the broad developmental needs of young children, including:
* Health and safety
ECERS-3 also includes additional Items assessing developmentally appropriate literacy and math activities.
Designed for preschool, kindergarten, and child care classrooms serving children 3 through 5 years of age, ECERS-3:
* Provides a smooth transition for those already using ECERS-R.
* Emphasizes the role of the teacher in creating an environment conducive to developmental gains.
* Is designed to predict child outcomes more accurately and with greater precision.
* Provides a stronger method of distinguishing between good and truly excellent programs.
* Offers a complete training program with ongoing support available at the Environment Rating Scales Institute (ERSI) website.
ECERS-3 is appropriate for state and district-wide QRIS and continuous improvement; program evaluation by directors and supervisors; teacher self-evaluation; monitoring by agency staff; and teacher education. The established reliability and long term evidence of validity of the ERS family of instruments make this new version of ECERS particularly useful for RTTT-ELC accountability and research.
Suitable for use in inclusive and culturally diverse programs, ECERS-3 subscales evaluate:
* Space and Furnishings
* Personal Care Routines
* Language and Literacy
* Learning Activities
* Program Structure